Q. HOW DO I GET THERE?
A. The Works and Services within the Ministry for Resources and Rural Affairs are located at Floriana, a few minutes away from the Valletta bus terminus in the direction of the Ministry for Education, adjacent to the Inland Revenue Department and the Police General Headquarters.
Q. HOW DO I APPLY FOR, OR RENEW, A MASONS' LICENSE?
A. Applications for masons' licenses are to be made to the Masons' Board situated at Block A, Floriana. Contact telephone number is 2122450. Fax number is 21249004. Payment of renewals can be either effected personally, or by post, by cash or cheque, at the Cash Office, Block A, Floriana between 08:00 and 12:00 on working days. Renewals are to be settled at the beginning of each calendar year. When payment is effected by post, a copy of the last receipt is to be provided for ease of reference.
Q. HOW DO I REPORT DANGEROUS STRUCTURES?
A. Reports on dangerous structures can be lodged by the general public either at the Works & Services Customer Care Office, at the local police station, or directly at the Building and Engineering Department at 4th Floor Project House, Floriana during office hours. Contact telephone number is 22997598 and fax number is 21247751. After office hours the general public is requested to call at the local police station, where the police are in possession of pager numbers of all architects involved in the service.
Q. HOW DO I GET A COPY OF A TENDER DOCUMENT?
A. Client has to produce a form from the Contracts and Procurements Section at Works. Such form has a cost and a number of tender. Payment is to be effected at the Cash Office Block A Works Division Floriana, between 08:00 and 12:00. Receipt number is put down on form and is returned to Contracts and Procurement Section in order to collect the requested tender. Adults over 18 are eligible to obtain this service. Contact Information: Contracts & Procurement Section, Project Design & Implementation Department, Floriana. Contact telephone number is 22997605. Opening hours for the public: normal office hours.
Q. HOW DO I APPLY TO BE REGISTERED AS A BUILDING TRADESMAN OR CONTRACTOR?
A. The service provides building tradesmen and contractors with an opportunity for registration in order that they are officially recognised as service providers in the category of work activity they carry out in the building industry. The service will also provide the general public with easily accessible information on service providers in the local building industry. The service will be building and keep up to date information on the capabilities of service providers in the local building industry.
Procedure to be followed by client:
1. Obtain a registration form by downloading it from the Cleansing & Maintenace Department web site, or collecting it from the Director General (Cleansing & Maintenace Department ) offices at Project House, Floriana.
2. Fill the Form and attach certain documentation requested in the Form at page 9, and return the completed Form to the Registration of Contractors Unit at the Director General (Cleansing & Maintenace Department) offices by post or in person
3. Form is checked and the procedure described in the first page of the Form is adopted.
4. When Form is accepted, further evaluation is made of applicants' qualification criteria and if applicant qualifies, is informed accordingly, and is listed in the Official Register in one or more of the sections defined in Part C of the Application Form.This Register will be published at least once every six months.
5. If the application is rejected, the Department shall immediately inform the applicant of the intended decision and give the applicant a maximum of 10 working days for his comments.
6. If the decision is still negative the Department shall immediately notify the applicant in writing giving also the reasons for the decision.
7. A new application may be submitted when the applicant deems fit.
8. The Registration has an unlimited validity, but once issued is subject to an annual review of the documentation relating to Insurance policies covering Contractor's all Risk and Employee's Liability. A copy of the last receipt i.c.w. payment of Social Security is required. A copy of the last acknowledgement for the income tax return is also required.
9. Registered persons/entities/contractors have also to submit details and documentation when there is a change of relevant circumstances that effect the other information provided in the original application. This notification is to be made within 20 working days of the changes.
10. Technical competency shall be reviewed every five (5) years.
11. One month before expiry of the one or five year period, the registered enterprise/person shall send the documents to the Registration of Contractors Unit.
Director General (Cleansing & Maintenace Department) - Registration of Contractors Unit, Project House, Floriana CMR 02. Contact telephone numbers are 21235985, 22997506 and fax number is 21235984. Opening hours for the public: Winter 08.30 - 12.00, 14.00 - 15.30; Summer 08.00 - 12.00